Starting uni is really intense. Everything is new and it takes time to get used to things and find your feet. You might feel under pressure to have the best time of your life, but in reality there will be amazing times and days where you might feel tired, homesick, and down. Most students feel this way at some stage, so you’re not alone. Recognising how you feel is always important.
There’s no ‘one size fits all’ solution for feeling homesick, but here are some things that could help:
- Do something you like to do, like sports, going for a run, or getting cosy and reading a book.
- Have a look at some clubs and societies you could join. Most societies also do taster sessions through Give it a Go so you don’t have to commit straight away.
- Have a chat to someone, friends, family, - let them know how you feel. It can help to just offload and share.
- Do something new to give you a different perspective. This could be an event or a trip out - have a look here.
- Trying to stick it out, students who go home every weekend often find that it takes them longer to make friends and feel at home in Leeds, so however tempting it is, it’s worth trying to stick around for the first few weeks at least.
- 0113 3801 290