What financial help can I get from the University or Student Union?

Both the University and LUU have Hardship Funds that may be able to offer support. If you need longer-term help with your essential living costs (from now until the end of the current academic year) there are two funds available depending on if you are a home or international student. You can find more info here.

The fund is open to any student registered at the University of Leeds. So if you are full or part time, postgrad or undergrad, home or International you are eligible to apply.

If you are experiencing financial hardship just get in touch at advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk and see if we can help.

The fund covers immediate hardship (a two month period) and includes rent, food, essential bills some equipment and essential travel costs. Approximately 98% of all applicants are successful and receive an award. If you need longer term financial support we can help identify other University Hardship Funds that you may also be eligible to apply for.

If you have any unexpected Covid-19 related expenses e.g. test, flight changes or quarantine hotels costs we may be able to help.  If you are already a registered student at the University of Leeds, please get in touch with advice@luu.leeds.ac.uk and ask for an Emergency Hardship Fund application. 

If you are a new student who has not registered, you will need to cover the initial costs yourself. When you are registered, get in touch with us with the evidence of your costs and we may be able to reimburse you if you meet the criteria for the Hardship Fund.  If you have any questions please do contact us as we assess each case and offer help wherever we can.