What is an external student?

External students are those who are working towards a resit attempt which is an exceptional or final attempt. It is usually for a repeated semester or year.

The University’s guidance on this can be found here.

External students are still classed as University of Leeds students. You only stop being a student when you finish or permanently withdraw from your course. 

You don’t usually need to go to any teaching sessions. You don’t get a student card, or normally have access to the library or computers. Sometimes you can arrange access to the library and computers through your School so just speak to them if you’re unsure.

As an external student you will have access to pastoral services, including Student Counselling and Wellbeing, on campus for four weeks at the point of taking leave, and in the month before your return. If you need support you can still access LUU Advice, as well as Togetherall (previously Big White Wall), an online mental health and wellbeing service. 

International student visas are affected by external status and you can find the specific University guidance on this here.