What should I do if I think I can smell gas?

If you can smell gas, immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service 24 hours a day on 0800 111 999 and then let your landlord know. 

Don’t turn on any light switches or use any plug sockets and try to air the room out by opening a window.

There’s loads more advice on the national grid website here.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A serious risk of a faulty appliance or gas installation is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide has no smell or taste, breathing it in can make you unwell and can kill you. 

Here are some symptoms:

  • tension type headaches 
  • dizziness
  • nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting
  • tiredness and confusion
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
  • flu-like symptoms without a high temperature or fever  
  • food-poisoning type symptoms 

If you recognise any of these symptoms, stop using your gas appliances and see your GP. Let your landlord know of your concerns. 

Good to know 

 By law, your landlord has to have your gas appliances and installations checked every year.

You should have a copy of something that looks like this from your landlord which will tell you the last time they were checked. 

Have a look at Carbon Monoxide Awareness for more information.